Material(s):Crystal & silver
Designer/Maker:Rene Lalique for metal work; Baccarat for glass
Markings:Stamped "RL" on metal work
Date or Era:ca. 1912
Bottle also used for Roses and Violettes fragrances. This represents a transition piece between Lalique, the jeweler, and Lalique, creator of flacons. D'Orsay was the fourth company to commission Lalique to produce flacons (many creations from 1914 until the 1930's), and many of his best were for this company. Like Coty who first used Lalique to embellish a Baccarat flacon with a glass label, the first work for D'Orsay was to enhance a Baccarat flacon, very different from their norm. The glass is etched on all surfaces and there is a glass overcap under which is a ground glass stopper. Rene Lalique designed the metal work with two partially gilded silver bands. The larger one at the base of the bottle is decorated with a chased frieze of dancing figures in Greek style. At least three are identical to ones found on bas-reliefs from Greek antiquity exhibited in the Louvre. The band is stamped with the mark that Lalique used on his jewelry. Ref: The Art of Rene Lalique, Christie Mayer Lefkowith, 2010.